Local domain suffix causing WSUS error

I have several Windows computers in my LAN, so I’m using a Windows Server as WSUS server serving Windows Updates to LAN clients. And I just flashed my router’s firmware from Tomato to OpenWRT yesterday, then I found the WSUS service broken.

“80072ee2” shows on Windows Update window, and the Windows Server Update Service remote console unable to connect to the WSUS server neither.

The 80072ee2 means there was a connectivity issue between client and server,

In Event Viewer, there is a Event ID 7053 Error from Windows Server Update Services, and I Googled, 7053 is a connection error.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.NullReferenceException -- Object reference not set to an instance of an object.


Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ResetScopeNode()

I tried to delete the “wsus” file and re-create a connection to WSUS server, but no luck. On Internet, I found 7053 seems a DNS related error. (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windowsserver/en-US/d24fe704-1a3d-431d-82b5-d6d004a96ff7/connection-error-wsus-console)

Also in Event Viewer, before each 7053 error, there were 7032 Warning, showing:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.


Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

401 Unauthorized? But I checked IIS and WSUS on the server, everything was fine.

Only thing I know is, both Windows Update & Remote Console were both unable to reach the WSUS server. And it’s weird, because I can ping the server from any computer in the LAN, just Windows Update having problem with it.

7053? DNS related error? Finally, I figured this out.

I remembered on OpenWRT’s “DHCP and DNS” settings page, there’s a setting for local domain suffix (Local domain suffix appended to DHCP names and hosts file entries), and the default value was “lan”, and I can see my DHCPed host name have this suffix. Run ipconfig command and you will see some thing like:

"Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :  lan"

Looks like, this setting would changed your specified DHCP name from HOSTNAME to HOSTNAME.lan

I removed the value “lan” from local domain suffix settings, and renewed server and client’s DHCP, then the error disappeared, everything is running smoothly like before.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *